I was inspired by a cold shrimp salad I had for lunch at my beloved Two Sisters Catering, and decided to make a cold dinner salad starring my favorite crustacean. This stuff rocked. Peaches are about to come into season and they’re best I’ve tasted in about 4 years, so they had to make an appearance in this recipe. Cook the shrimp first and let it chill in the fridge while you’re making the dressing.
Shrimp, Cucumber and Peach Salad
1/2 pound raw, peeled, de-veined shrimp
2 cups peaches, pits removed and medium dice (about 1 large peach)
2 cups cucumbers, seeded and medium dice (about 1 large cucumber)
1 Tablepoon fresh lemon juice
1. Boil about 2 cups of water in a small sauce pan. When it comes to a rolling boil, add about a tablespoon of salt and let it come back to a boil.
2. When the water is boiling, add the shrimp and let it cook for about 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, drain the shrimp into a colander and rinse it with cold water. Put in the fridge to chill for at least 10-15 minutes.
While the shrimp is chilling, start the dressing. For the dressing, you’ll need:
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 Tablepoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
1. In a bowl, mix the vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper with a whisk.
2. Slowly drizzle in the oil and whisk quickly.
3. Mix in the chopped dill.
4. Take the cold shrimp and slice it in half lengthwise, like this:
5. In a large bowl, mix the shrimp, peaches, and cucumber.
6. Pour in the dressing and stir everything well to coat it with dressing. Add the lemon juice last and stir again.