Sound pretty fancy? Completely easy recipe, I promise. I tried to blog this one last week but it was devoured before I could get photos. These crispy leeks are my new favorite food ever.
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Garlic Apple Roasted Chicken with Crispy Cinnamon Leeks
1 whole roaster chicken
1 apple, peel on, sliced into long slices or 1” cubes
1 bunch of leeks
1 heaping Tablespoon minced garlic
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons Kerry Gold grass fed butter (optional)
1. Rinse the chicken off and pat it dry with a paper towel. Coat with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Rinse off the leeks, pulling off the outer 2 layers to remove any dirt. Slice the ends off of the white part, about 1/2” and throw away. Slice disks about 1/4” thick up until you hit the green part of the leek. Throw away the top green parts.
3. In a large bowl, mix the apple pieces, leeks, cinnamon and garlic and toss well to coat everything in cinnamon.
4. Take half of the mixture and put it in a large roasting pan or casserole dish.
5. Take the other half of the mixture and stuff it inside the chicken. The garlic should have fallen to the bottom of the bowl. Stuff half of the garlic in the chicken.
6. Using your finger, separate the chicken breast from the skin creating a little pocket. Put the rest of the garlic inside the pocket, 1 on each breast. Optional- put a Tablespoon of grass fed butter in the pocket, on top of the garlic.
7. Set the chicken, breast side up, on top of the leeks and apples.
8. Roast in the oven for about an hour if your chicken is 2 1/2 pounds or less, and about an hour and 15 minutes if it’s 3 pounds or more.
9. Serve the chicken with the leeks and apples on the side. The apples will soften in the oven and the leeks will become dark and crispy.