The unfortunate thing about all the paleo muffin recipes I’ve found is that they’re usually really dense and heavy. I came up with this recipe with the goal of making a light and fluffy muffin and it actually worked on the first try. These taste best when smeared with a healthy portion of Kerrygold butter.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Banana Raisin Muffins
2 ripe bananas
2 egg whites
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 cup almond milk
3/4 cup golden raisins
2 Tablespoons melted coconut oil (plus extra for greasing the muffin tins)
1. Using your fingers, grease a muffin tin with melted coconut oil.
2. Using a whisk or a whisk attachment on a mixer, whip the eggs and egg whites until light and fluffy.
3. While the eggs are whipping, mash the banana in a separate bowl with a fork.
4. Add the cinnamon, baking powder, golden raisins, almond meal and almond milk to the mashed banana and mix well.
5. When the eggs are light and fluffy, mix half of them into the banana batter and mix well.
6. Add the banana/egg mixture back into the rest of the whipped eggs and mix well.
7. Stir in the melted coconut oil.
8. Fill the greased muffin tin about 3/4 of the way full.
9. Bake for 25-30 minutes. You’ll know the muffins are done by inserting a toothpick or a knife into the center and it comes out clean.
Makes about 18 muffins. These will come out of the pan much easier after they cool down. The hard part is waiting.