Rumaki is traditionally various organ meats and water chestnuts wrapped in bacon, but hey, for those of us who aren’t in love with liver, I found a vegetable alternative. These are best when they’ve cooled off for about 10 minutes before eating.
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
8 stalks of fresh asparagus
1 package of bacon
1 can of sliced water chestnuts
1. Rinse the asparagus and remove the bottom 1-2 inches of the woody base of the stalk. Discard and cut the remaining asparagus into 1 inch pieces.
2. Cut the bacon pieces in half.
3. Place 2 pieces of asparagus side by side with a slice of water chestnut on the top and bottom.
4. Wrap half of a strip of bacon around the water chestnut tucking the end of the bacon underneath the bottom.
5. Place the rumaki on a cookie sheet and bake for 40 minutes.
6. Cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.